Saturday, January 19, 2008

Live and Learn

I'm a pretty low maintenance kind of person. Give me a pair of jeans, a decent top and a pair of Crocs and I'm good to go. I like a small amount of make up, am a huge fan of jewelry, but like my hair to pretty much be 'wash and wear'. I'm not a fan of "product" and seriously hate spending more than 3 minutes fixing my hair in the morning before I go to work.
I realize (and how) that I'm getting older by the nano second and therefore some hairstyles would look totally ridiculous on me no matter how cute I may think they are. That, coupled with the shape of my face leaves me with little to no options. I've been a natural blonde all my life but with trying to avoid all contact with the sun it has left my hair darker than what I'd like it to be. I had pretty much given up on actually spending a small fortune to go to a stylist to have my hair done. The outcome was always the same. I would get in the car, call Scott or Sara, and cry all the way home about how horrible my hair looked. (they stopped accepting my calls when they knew I was on my way to a salon) I mean, who can blame me? Once my hair had been teased so high that it rubbed the roof of the car when I got in. Now...that's some big ass hair! I basically threw in the towel and decided to just go to Supercuts and pay $12.00 for a haircut. I mean, you can't really bitch about twelve bucks.
Well, I got the insane notion that I would try once again to go to a salon and get some highlights. I walked out $110.00 lighter in my wallet and hair the color of Anna Nicole Smith. I was devastated. I must say, my family was very supportive. Scott said, "Well, it looks better than mine." Jeff said, "It's not that bad, mom." Kris and Betina knew I was about 3 seconds away from pulling a Britney Spears and shaving my head so they just smiled and said something to the effect, "It's fine." Yeah, play it safe you big babies. Oh... and at work they said it was "growing on them." Hmm, like a fungus or plantars wart?
After 24 hours of feeling like I was constantly being whispered about..."Honey, promise me that if I ever come home looking like that on purpose you'll shoot me, ok?" I knew something had to be done.
My bosses son is a stylist and he was the only one who had the nerve to tell me the truth. I looked like a cross between Big Bird and Christina Aguleria (sp?) He said he would fix it for me and I found the will to live again!
I had such a good time talking with him while he did damage control. Two hours later I walked out of there feeling like a normal human being once again. The colors are fabulous. But...and I'm not complaining about his price cuz he really did save me from a life of total and complete shame...but I had no idea what some stylists get for their services. I paid him $180.00!!!! Sara, if you're reading this DO NOT tell your dad or you will be a partial orphan. So...in less than a week I spent almost $300 on my hair...and the style is still crap. The first stylist had chopped it up so badly that Michael was pretty limited as to what he could do with it without making me look like a head lice survivor.
I think Michael did a great job and I would like to continue to see him but dang....I just can't justify that kind of money. Hell, I think I can just go down to the local Wal-Mart and pick up a box of hair color for around eight bucks and do it myself. I don't want to hurt his feelings, but that is seriously a huge chunk of change. Just think of the fun things I could have gotten with that money....a new lens for my camera...a trip to see my Sara :( Seriously, I could have flown up to see Sara, gone to get my hair done by her friend and then taken Sara out to dinner and still spent less money. Lesson learned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your hair is always so cute and I can't believe what you paid!