Saturday, August 02, 2008

'Cool' has a price

Oh yes indeedy it do!!! The air-conditioner folks didn't arrive until the next morning which made for a incredibly uncomfortable evening before...but hey, what's a mother to do? So, they actually didn't make it to the house before 1pm which meant it was getting even hotter in the house and I was ready to poke my own eyes out just waiting for them. We had been told it would be a 7-8 hour job and you just hear the sound of a cash register and see dollar signs flying about when they tell you that.

Our house is 20 years old. I'm not sure if it's more like in dog years or something but apparently that's old for a/c units. Ok. He could have said they need to be replaced every 5 years and I wouldn't know the difference. Not my "especi-e-ality" kids. He said the blower was out and that would cost $800 to fix that. HOWEVER, if something else decided to go ka-blewy in the next day, week, month....too bad so sad. So, bottom line was that we opted to have the 4ton unit replaced and hope for the best with the smaller unit (hehe, I said 'unit') cuz it was going to cost $20,000.07 (ok, I made the 7 cent part up) to replace both. I dunno about you guys, but we just don't happen to have that kind of legal tender just sitting around. I mean, Sara may go to grad school. Jeff, Kris and Betina are in college. I'm counting Betina in even though she got a grant and we don't have to pay for her classes, but I just wanted to throw that in cuz I'm proud of her. Anyway, between kids in school, rising gas prices, people living here who actually do NOT want to be on the 99cent diet (eating at McDonald's) three dogs and taking care of my mom...it's just not happening. So....for a mere $12,000.04 (made that up too) we had the 4 ton put in. We'll do the smaller one next year.
But I gotta say...and this is no joke, Sara, you will totally feel the difference when you come home...this new a/c is fabulous. It has not been this cool in our house EVER. EVER!!!! I can actually feel the air coming out of the vents for the first time. How sick is that. We may save enough on our power bill to have the smaller one replaced. So...we're happy little Denton's.
Which is good cuz now we won't be able to go anywhere or do anything for at least 27 years. I'm only sorta kinda kidding. Oh well, vacations and visiting interesting places in the world is highly overrated I guess.
I've had a horrible cough for the past 2 weeks. Lost my voice and everything. It doesn't seem like it's entirely my asthma this time. Not sure what it is but I'm not getting any sleep and I even had to start on Prednisone...which I loathe with all my heart and soul. Scott is pretty angry with me for not going to see a doctor about it. Why do I torture myself so? No clue. I mean, it's not like I have to have a "girl exam" or anything...I just hate going to the doctor.
So...that's pretty much it for today. It's 47million degrees outside, but it's a lovely 75 in my house. aaawwww....$12,000 doesn't seem like all that much right about now.

No comments: