Tuesday, November 25, 2008

One Step Forward

It's 10:15 and I am just now getting home and sitting down to a soupy bowl of Minute Rice and butter. I know...eeeww...but I love it.

I truly feel that today was a good day. I went up to the hospital right after work and took some dinner to mom and she actually ate more than 3 bites!!! I was thrilled.

The first thing she said to me was, "Ruth Ann, what did you do? There were all sorts of people in here today to talk to me and take care of me."

Yeah, well, that's a good thing.

I called mom's insurance company and spoke with someone in risk management. Thought they would like to know where their money was going and how crappy their physicians are. Imagine my surprise when her new primary care doc calls me. He tried to tell me how busy the doctors are (poor rich bastards) and I said, "Look buddy, I've been married to a doctor for over 27 years. I'm not impressed. If you're too busy to adequately take care of your patients then maybe you'd best rethink limiting your practice." His phone rang while we were talking and he said to me, "See, I've missed 3 phone calls while I've talked to you. There may have been an emergency." uumm...WHERE do these people come from????????
Me: "Do you think I care? Maybe if you doctors had taken care of her in the first place you wouldn't have to be talking to me right now." He kept saying he wanted me to understand how mom has 6 doctors and it's impossible to expect them all to make rounds at the same time. Yeah, that's exactly what I expect lame ass.

Then I got the Chief of Staff on the phone and she was amazingly friendly and understanding. We had a lengthy conversation and she promised me she was leaving her medical office and going straight to the hospital to get to the bottom of everything. She will call me tomorrow.

The lawyer I contacted returned my call and listened to my whole nightmarish story and in the end he said he thinks we have a case against the rehab hospital. Oh, forgot to mention that when we got the medical records from the rehab hospital they said I took mom out AMA (against medical advice) WHAAAATTTT???? I didn't sign any papers...THEY called the freakin' ambulance....so the lawyer who is also a surgeon told me, "That's falsifying a medical record." So we'll see how all this plays out.

The risk management nurse from the hospital called me again too. She went in and checked on mom twice.

I'm too tired to write anymore tonight. I think it's possible I may actually be able to get some sleep tonight. More later, and hopefully it'll all be good.

No comments: