Monday, December 29, 2008

Not really a year in review, but...

I know this is old news, but I just got these photos off my camera and thought I would share a little Las Vegas history making snow with you. This is what our street looked like at 6pm. I know these aren't the best quality photos around, but I was didn't use my tripod, didn't want to use a flash and so this is about as good as it gets. I have never seen this much snow since I've lived here. It was amazing!!!!!
Betina took this shot out the window as we were leaving my mom's apartment. We were just freaking out at the sight of so much snow...and also because the road was very slick and we had already watched a guy take out a lamp post.

This is the gate in front of our house. The snow made it look all winter wonder like...and more like Christmas.


this is the view from our front yard. We were more lucky than a lot of our neighbors. The snow was so wet and heavy that tree limbs snapped all around our neighborhood. Most of the desert trees were damaged. We lucked out. No real damage to our plants cuz I shook the snow off as best I could. Our dogs had the time of their little wiener dog lives playing in the snow and then had to be warmed up by the fire afterwards. I think that is my favorite memory of this Christmas.
Back to work today. Let me just tell you how fun it is to go to work and have no heat in the entire building. It was 47 degrees out when I left the house this morning and I think it was a balmy 52 in my office. Yeah. Thankfully I wore my heavy coat to work. I had that sucker zipped up, pulled the hood up over my head and wished I had worn heavier socks and something other than polyester pants. bbbrrrrr! I loaned Laura my gloves cuz the poor thing couldn't write phone messages due to frost bite on her hands. It was insane. I may ta ke our little space heater tomorrow just in case. Or just not go. I'm kidding.
Mom is spending her first night alone in her apartment in a very long time. I'm nervous, but she did so well yesterday and today I think she'll be fine. I think the poor thing is in dire need of some peace and quiet. Our house at Christmas is basically a free for all. People coming and going...phones ringing...noise...3 dogs...friends....baking...eating....pretty much the usual stuff for a family during the holidays.
Scott's dad is in the hospital. I swear, this has been a horrible couple of months. He fell going up the steps to their house last night and whacked his head pretty hard. They want to keep him for observation and to run a few tests to see why his legs are so weak. My sister-in-laws dad is still in the hospital, and I just found out this afternoon that my other sister-in-law (my brother's wife) is having to go visit her sister for the last time. Her sister has cancer and we thought she had a few more months to live, but it looks like it's going to be much sooner.
I don't want to dwell on the sadness...I'd much rather think about wonderful, happy memories that bring a smile to my face. There's far too much misery in the world and while I don't want to hide my head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist....I just need a little reprieve. I'm a tad bit frazzled and fragile right now.
So with that... I'm off to devour a couple million little Mexican wedding cookies that I made last night before Sara left to go back home. (sadness) No one can be unhappy with Mexican wedding cookies around.

No comments: