Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What I do when I'm depressed/bored/anxious

I do very silly though creative things...like make cupcake hamburgers and sugar cookie fries. Uh-huh, it was one of those weekends. The 'burger' part is a brownie that I cut with a circle cookie cutter and then slapped on some colored frosting and sprinkled some sesame seeds on the top. People at work thought they were real and when they found out they were cupcakes, they all looked at me as though I should probably spend some time in the psych department. I can totally see why they would think that...trying to explain why I felt the need to turn on the oven when it was 107 degrees outside and spend the better part of the day making them was like trying to explain the concept of heaven to puppies.

Without going into a long drawn out story, I agreed to take in a young man who 'used' to be my son's best friend. This poor kid is a drug addict. Now before anyone goes and judges him, I don't think there is a drug addict or alcoholic out there who says to themselves one day, "You know, I think I'm going to totally mess up my life and the lives of all those around me by being addicted to this stuff." He's a good kid...he's just lost. And like the stupid person I am, I thought maybe I could help him. It clearly didn't work. He lied and brought drugs into our home and continued to take drugs even though he kept telling me how grateful he was that we were letting him stay and get his act together. I said he 'used' to be my son's best friend. Kris knew he was still doing drugs and in the end kicked him out of our house. I was trying to say that I only wanted to try and save his friend and that's when he informed me that he lost his friend years ago. I fear he may be right.
So...after that depressing experience, I found myself wanting to do something in the kitchen. Heaven forbid I should actually make a meal that was healthy and delicious. I could have even cleaned a closet or something. Hell, I could have sat around reading a good book but noooo, I make hamburger looking cupcakes for no apparent reason. I don't even have little kids to blame it on, like a school birthday party!
I need to get a grip...I'm trying to figure out how to make cupcake tacos and hot dogs. I have no earthly idea why.

1 comment:

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

How about making a cupcake wiener dog?? Now THAT would be cool!!

Hallie