Friday, August 29, 2008

It's Friday!!!!!!

No, this isn't my new dog not that I have a new dog...or the dog of anyone I know. I think I just found the picture on the internet somewhere and liked it so I saved it to my computer here at work. Yes, I am blogging from work! Wanna make something of it? Go ahead, make my day. Sometimes I'm so "tough" I can't stand my own self.

Well, it's the Friday before a long holiday weekend. I cannot tell you how happy that makes me. Plus, just think, that means we only have 4 days to work next week. Unbelievable!! It's like TWO holidays for the price of one. Gotta love that.

Summer is dragging on and on and on around here. Today is supposed to be 109 or a tad bit higher. As long as I can go from my very lovely air-conditioned office to my air-conditioned car to my air-conditioned home it's all good. But, I am sick of it. It's more than getting old. C'mon, I want to think about fall, and fall things, and cool weather and sweaters, and blankets on the bed and sipping hot apple cider. How Martha Stewart is that?

Just mostly rambling today. My mother said something last week that still makes me grin when I think about it. Just a little background history here. My mother is almost 79 years old. She's less than 5 feet tall and definitely has an opinion on everything. My kids and I get a kick out of the fact that she mispronounces things all the time. Like Sara's car for example. She drives a Hyundai. My mother pronounces it "Hi-un-die" Motel and hotel are pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable. MOtel....HOtel. Cracks us up everytime. Root beer is something like "Rut Beer" So..on with this boring story. We're talking about Ellen DeGeneres getting married and she said, "Well, I'm glad she ended up with that 'Port-e-ah' rather than that Ann HECK." ohhh mom, you are so amusing. Like I'm going to correct her.

3 more hours and then I get to go home. Yeah, it's been that kind of week. I was told on Monday that I had until Friday to finish up something called a "effort report". I've run into about 47 snags and it's not finished yet. I've emailed people, talked to more people on the phone, and am now waiting for the administrator to call or come by. Just so you know and don't rat me out, I'm on my lunch right now. ppphhtt. I now refer to this report not as it's truly called, the "effort report", I call em like I see em. It's the "effin' report" as far as I'm concerned. and yes, I think my mother would be able to pronounce that one without any problems. Love my job, but am really sick of the last minute crises that seem to arise without warning and it's always something I have no clue about because I've never seen it or heard of it due to the fact that I'm new and there wasn't anyone here to train me for my job. Makes things a little stressful to say the least. Right after I got back from our latest work related trip I was called in and told that I had until 3pm that very afternoon to get the credit card statement from the previous person reconciled or every credit card in the entire department was going to be canceled. Whew...talk about some stress!!! My first thought was, "Hey, you know where she's working now, call her up and make HER do it." but, that's not how things work so of course I had to go in and figure it out. Good times, good times. So, in some small way, I saved the department. YEA!

Ok, lunch time is over and I purposely ate here at my desk waiting for a phone call or a person to show up to help me. Guess I'm left with actually getting up and going over to the other side of the building and see if I can find some help in the form of an administrator. Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

Oh, plum forgot to talk about Obama and his speech last night. As I watched his speech with my youngest son I had tears in my eyes. I grew up in the south and I know about prejudice and how totally sick and unfounded it is. So as I sat there I told my son, "We're sitting here witnessing history. I can't believe how long it's taken this country to come around and realize that a man is a man, no matter what color his skin or his nationality." I was so very touched that a black man was standing up in front of our nation accepting the nomination for president of the United States. It's about frickin' time!!!!

So, I gotta go.

No comments: